Welcome to our guide on how to make your own cannabis-infused lip balm. Not only is it a fun DIY project, but it’s also a great way to nurture your lips while taking advantage of the benefits of cannabis. In this article, we will walk you through the steps to create your own natural cannabis lip care. But before we dive into the process, let’s talk about the benefits of using cannabis lip balm and how to use it.
Benefits of Cannabis Lip Balm
Cannabis lip balm is a natural and safe alternative to traditional lip balms. Not only does it provide moisturization, but it also has anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe dry and chapped lips. In addition, using organic hemp oil as a key ingredient can offer numerous benefits to the skin.
Hemp oil contains fatty acids and vitamins that can help nourish and protect the skin. Its anti-inflammatory properties can help soothe irritation, while its emollient properties can help seal in moisture. This makes it an excellent choice for those with dry or sensitive skin, especially when used in conjunction with cannabis.
Furthermore, cannabis lip balm may also provide healing properties that can aid in the treatment of cold sores, cuts, and other minor skin irritations. Its calming effects can also help relieve stress and anxiety, providing a relaxing experience when used regularly.
Ingredients Needed for Cannabis Lip Balm
Making your own cannabis lip balm is a fun DIY project that requires a few key ingredients. Here are the items you will need to get started:
|Dried cannabis flower||1 gram||Used in the process of making infused oil|
|Coconut oil or olive oil||1/4 cup||The base for the infused oil|
|Beeswax pellets or soy wax||1 tablespoon||The main ingredient for the lip balm base|
|Shea butter or cocoa butter||1 tablespoon||Additional moisturization and soothing properties|
|Vitamin E oil||1 teaspoon||Antioxidant properties to help preserve the lip balm|
|Essential oils (optional)||A few drops||For flavor and fragrance|
Once you have gathered all of your ingredients, you will be ready to begin making your cannabis lip balm. The next few sections will guide you through the process, step by step.
How to Decarboxylate Cannabis for Lip Balm
Decarboxylation is necessary for activating the beneficial compounds in cannabis. To begin, preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C).
Spread a layer of parchment paper over a baking sheet, and spread a layer of cannabis buds on top of the parchment paper. Make sure the buds are evenly distributed and don’t overlap.
Bake the cannabis in the preheated oven for about 30-40 minutes. This will activate the THC and CBD compounds in the cannabis, which will make them more potent and effective in the lip balm.
After baking, remove the cannabis from the oven and let it cool.
Note: If you prefer to avoid the smell of cannabis during the process, you can wrap the cannabis in aluminum foil before baking.
Infusing Cannabis into Oil for Lip Balm
Before you can create your cannabis lip balm, you need to infuse cannabis into oil. This process allows you to extract the beneficial compounds from the cannabis and incorporate them into the oil, which will form the base of your lip balm. Here’s how to do it:
- Grind your cannabis. You can use a grinder or break it up by hand, but make sure it’s finely ground.
- Preheat your oven to 240°F (115°C).
- Place your cannabis on a baking sheet and bake it in the oven for 30-40 minutes. This process, called decarboxylation, activates the THC and CBD in the cannabis.
- Meanwhile, choose the oil you want to use for your lip balm. We recommend using organic hemp oil, as it has numerous skin benefits and is readily available. Other options include coconut oil, olive oil, or sweet almond oil.
- Place the oil in a double boiler or heat-safe bowl. Heat the oil on low heat, stirring occasionally, until it reaches 160°F (71°C). This temperature ensures that the oil is warm enough to extract the beneficial compounds from the cannabis, but not hot enough to damage them.
- Once your cannabis is decarboxylated, add it to the warm oil. Stir the mixture and let it simmer on low heat for 3-4 hours, stirring occasionally. This will allow the cannabis to infuse into the oil.
- After 3-4 hours, remove the oil from the heat and strain it through a cheesecloth or fine mesh strainer. This will remove any plant material from the oil.
- Your cannabis-infused oil is now ready to use in your lip balm recipe.
By infusing cannabis into oil, you can harness the natural benefits of cannabis and incorporate them into your lip balm. Using organic hemp oil as your base will provide additional skin benefits and create a nourishing cannabis lip therapy that will leave your lips feeling soft and moisturized.
Creating the Lip Balm Base
Once you have your infused cannabis oil ready, it’s time to create the lip balm base. This base will serve as the foundation of your cannabis lip balm, and it’s important to get it right. Here’s what you’ll need:
|Beeswax||1 tablespoon||Provides structure and stability to the balm.|
|Coconut Oil||1 tablespoon||Moisturizes and soothes the lips, as well as adds shine.|
|Mango Butter||1 tablespoon||Softens and nourishes the lips.|
|Infused Cannabis Oil||1 tablespoon||The key ingredient that provides the benefits of cannabis to the lips.|
|Vitamin E Oil||1 teaspoon||Preserves the balm and acts as an antioxidant.|
Here are the steps to create the balm:
- Melt the beeswax, coconut oil, and mango butter in a double boiler over low heat. Be sure to stir frequently to ensure even melting.
- Once the mixture has melted completely, remove it from the heat and add the infused cannabis oil and vitamin E oil. Stir well to combine.
- Pour the mixture into lip balm containers and allow them to cool completely before using.
With these simple steps, you’ll have a nourishing cannabis lip therapy that will soothe and moisturize your lips like never before!
Adding Flavoring to Cannabis Lip Balm
If you want to add flavor to your cannabis lip balm, there are a few natural ingredients you can use. You can experiment with different essential oils to create a personalized and soothing lip balm with cannabis.
- Mint essential oil: Mint essential oil provides a refreshing and cooling sensation to the lips, making it a popular choice for lip balms.
- Lavender essential oil: Lavender essential oil has calming properties that can help soothe dry and chapped lips, making it a great option for a nighttime lip balm.
- Citrus essential oils: Citrus essential oils such as lemon, grapefruit, and orange can provide a fresh, uplifting scent to your lip balm.
When adding essential oils, use small amounts, as they are very potent. A few drops will suffice to add flavor and scent to your cannabis lip balm. Mix thoroughly before pouring the lip balm into containers.
Pouring the Lip Balm into Containers
The final step in making your cannabis lip balm is pouring the mixture into containers. You can use small lip balm containers that can easily fit into your purse or pocket, or larger containers if you want to use the balm on other parts of your body.
It’s important to pour the mixture carefully into the containers. To keep the containers clean, you can use a dropper or a small funnel to pour the mixture. Make sure to leave a little bit of space at the top of the containers to prevent overflow when putting the caps on.
Once you’ve filled your containers, let them sit at room temperature until the balm has cooled and hardened. This usually takes a few hours, depending on the room temperature. Once hardened, place the caps onto your containers and store them in a cool, dry place.
Using Cannabis Lip Balm
Cannabis lip balm is a great addition to any self-care routine, especially during those cold and dry winter months. Here’s how to use it:
- Start with clean lips: Before applying your cannabis lip balm, make sure your lips are clean and free of any other products. Use a gentle exfoliator or a warm washcloth to remove any dead skin.
- Apply generously: Unlike other lip balms, you don’t need to apply cannabis lip balm as frequently. Apply a generous amount to your lips and let it absorb. You can apply it throughout the day as needed, but you’ll likely find that you need to apply it less frequently than other lip balms.
- Reapply before bed: Before heading to bed, apply another layer of cannabis lip balm to your lips. This will help keep them moisturized and protected while you sleep.
- Use daily for best results: Regular use of cannabis lip balm can help keep your lips healthy and moisturized. Use it daily for best results.
Remember, cannabis lip balm is not meant to be ingested or used on any other part of your body. If you experience any irritation or allergic reactions, discontinue use immediately.
Tip: You can also use cannabis lip balm as a base for your favorite lipstick or lip gloss. It will keep your lips moisturized and protected while adding a subtle shine.
Where to Buy Cannabis Lip Balm
If you’re not interested in making your own cannabis lip balm, there are plenty of options available for purchase. However, it’s important to choose a reputable brand that uses high-quality, natural ingredients. Here are some of the best places to buy cannabis-infused lip balm:
1. Online Retailers
Several online retailers specialize in natural cannabis lip care and CBD-infused lip balms. Some of the most popular brands include:
|Vertly||Made with organic hemp oil and natural ingredients, these lip balms offer soothing relief for dry and chapped lips.||$22-$24|
|Bloom Farms||These lip balms are infused with full-spectrum CBD oil and other natural ingredients to provide long-lasting moisture and protection.||$14-$25|
|Kush Queen||Known for their CBD-infused bath bombs and skincare products, Kush Queen also offers a line of nourishing lip balms.||$16|
2. Health Food Stores
If you prefer to shop in person, many health food stores carry natural and organic cannabis-infused skincare products. Look for brands like HerbaBuena and Mary’s Medicinals for high-quality lip balms.
If you live in a state where cannabis is legal, you may be able to find cannabis-infused lip balm at your local dispensary. However, it’s important to check the ingredients and quality before purchasing.
No matter where you buy your cannabis lip balm, always read the ingredients and check for third-party lab testing to ensure that you’re getting a safe and effective product. With the right cannabis lip balm, you can enjoy the benefits of natural cannabis lip care and keep your lips healthy and moisturized.
Tips for Making the Best Cannabis Lip Balm
Making cannabis lip balm is an easy and rewarding DIY project. Here are some tips to ensure that you make the best possible lip balm:
- Use high-quality ingredients: Using organic and high-quality ingredients will not only make your lip balm more effective but also healthier for your lips.
- Be accurate with measurements: Follow the recipe closely and use a scale to measure ingredients accurately. Precision is important for achieving the right texture and consistency.
- Decarboxylate your cannabis: Decarboxylation is essential for activating the therapeutic properties of cannabis. Failing to decarboxylate will result in a lip balm with little to no active compounds.
- Infuse the cannabis into oil properly: Infusing the cannabis into oil is vital for getting the most out of your cannabis. Ensure that the oil is warm enough to extract the active compounds, but not too hot that it destroys the beneficial properties.
- Be patient: Making cannabis lip balm takes time. The process involves multiple steps that require time and attention to detail. Rushing the process can result in a lip balm that doesn’t work or has a poor texture.
- Add essential oils for fragrance and added benefits: Essential oils like lavender and peppermint not only add a pleasant scent but also bring additional skin benefits. Be mindful of the amount of essential oils added, as too much can cause irritation.
- Store lip balm properly: Store your lip balm in a cool and dry place to prevent any melting or spoilage. Use airtight containers to preserve the potency of the active compounds in the lip balm.
- Experiment with different ingredients: Feel free to experiment with different ingredients to create a lip balm that meets your specific needs. For example, you can add vitamin E oil as an antioxidant or beeswax to thicken the consistency.
By following these tips, you’ll be able to create the best possible cannabis lip balm that will keep your lips healthy and moisturized.
Cannabis Lip Balm FAQ
Whether you’re new to cannabis lip balm or have been using it for a while, you may have some questions about its benefits, legality, and usage. Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about cannabis lip balm.
Is cannabis lip balm legal to use?
Yes, cannabis lip balm is legal to use as long as it is made from hemp-derived CBD and contains less than 0.3% THC. However, it’s important to check the laws in your state or country to ensure that you’re following the regulations.
Can cannabis lip balm get you high?
No, cannabis lip balm cannot get you high. As mentioned earlier in the article, the THC content in hemp-derived CBD is less than 0.3%, which is not enough to produce psychoactive effects.
What are the benefits of using cannabis lip balm?
Cannabis lip balm has numerous benefits for your lips and skin, including moisturization, anti-inflammatory properties, and possible pain relief. It can also help protect your lips from harsh weather and environmental factors.
How often should I use cannabis lip balm?
You can use cannabis lip balm as often as needed, but it’s recommended to apply it at least two to three times a day for optimal moisturization and protection.
Can I use cannabis lip balm if I’m allergic to hemp?
If you’re allergic to hemp, it’s best to avoid using cannabis lip balm or any cannabis-infused skincare products. Some people may experience skin irritation or an allergic reaction to hemp-derived CBD.
Can I use cannabis lip balm with other lip products?
Yes, you can use cannabis lip balm with other lip products, but it’s recommended to apply it first to ensure that it fully absorbs into your lips. You can also use it as a base before applying lipstick or lip gloss.
Is it safe to make my own cannabis lip balm?
Yes, it is safe to make your own cannabis lip balm as long as you follow proper instructions and use high-quality ingredients. Always decarboxylate your cannabis before infusing it into oil and make sure the lip balm is stored properly to avoid contamination.
With these answers to some of the most frequently asked questions about cannabis lip balm, you can feel confident in using and making your own natural cannabis lip care.